Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Experience Delivering Meds to Nursing Homes


Delivering meds to nursing homes can be quite rewarding at times. Most of the time, the residents are quite happy to see you. They will strike up a conversation about anything or absolutely nothing.

The homes I delivered to had very friendly and dedicated staff. And this showed in the residents. I personally give these people a lot of credit. They are kind, caring and really love the residents they take care of.

One resident in particular made me smile every time I was there. She was in the same spot everyday when I arrived. Situated in her chair beside the windows to the courtyard, and everyday as she looked out the window, she would ask what it was doing outside. I would give her the weather report and her response was a kind look, a smile and a thank you. Mind you, this was everyday. It never changed. I hope she is doing well. I no longer deliver meds, so I don't get to see her.

It was funny the names I was given. They knew I was delivering their medications, but I was called in loud voices, the candy lady and our drug pusher. They always made me laugh.

I really didn't mind losing the job. But the reason I won't miss the job is because it really started to bother me as to the amount of prescription drugs I was delivering to these elderly people. I can't reconcile in my mind why an 87- year old person would need 23 prescriptions on admission. I am not in the medical field, but I just can't deal with this in my mind.

The orders are from the doctors who know what they are doing, but it was bothering me tremendously that I was the one bringing it to the residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment