Thursday, March 7, 2013

Early Moving Worries: Are They Normal or Relocation Stress Syndrome?


In five years or so, my husband and I plan to move to a group living high-rise with assisted living and nursing care services. We paid our entry fee and it is earning interest. Many of our friends live in the high-rise and really like it. Though our move is years away, I find myself thinking about it and worrying about it.

What will we bring? What will we sell? What will we donate?

I had just written an article about Relocation Stress Syndrome, anxiety about moving to assisted living or long-term care. The symptoms of RSS include a reluctance to move, anxiety, confusion, helplessness, loneliness, withdrawl and pessimism. Thankfully, when I read the list of symptoms I realized I had only one -- occasional anxiety.

When I examined the source of this anxiety, I realized it came from a personality that always plans ahead. My mind was already working on sorting and moving. Still, I realized there were things I could do now to ease the transition. My proactive steps may help you.

1. Sell some large pieces of furniture. We had an antique roll-top desk and matching chair. As much as we loved this furniture, we knew it was too large for our next place. One of our friends is an antique dealer and he has a huge sale each year. Our lot, the roll-top desk and chair, china cupboard, music cabinet, child's desk and chair, were added to the sale and we made hundreds of dollars.

2. Check the condition of furniture on hand. Our family room couch was so worn the fabric was starting to fray. Though we could have purchased a slip cover for the couch, we decided to buy a new one. Choosing the fabric was easy, thanks to a computer program that shows fabric choices on the furniture.

3. Start a "Coming with Me" plan. Put this plan in writing. Right now, we plan to bring our existing bedroom furniture, a round kitchen table with four chairs, the new couch, two end tables, a china cupboard, a church pew, all existing lamps, and our computer desk. These plans may change after we get a floor plan of our new place.

4. Fix anything that needs fixing. I love the wing-back chairs we bought years go. While I have searched for new chairs, I haven't found any that are as pleasing as the ones we have. Newer chairs don't seem to be as sturdy, either. So I'm going to have the chairs re-upholstered in a neutral fabric.

5. Learn about space-saving products. In this sagging economy many Americans are downsizing to cut their monthly expenses. Manufacturers have picked up on this trend and developed space-saving furniture and storage items. I keep a running list of products that might be useful in the future.

Finally, it doesn't hurt to adjust your attitude. Small spaces can be attractive, too, and reveal your personality and interests. When we finally move, I'm going to make our new apartment as attractive as possible -- a little gem.

Copyright 2012 by Harriet Hodgson

No comments:

Post a Comment