Monday, March 4, 2013

Assisted Living - Because I Care


The world of long term care can be a scary and overwhelming place to both residents and families, but with knowledge comes empowerment that can decrease this feeling of helplessness.

I have spent well over 20 years in healthcare and recently I was asked if I was on the company team or my own team, I was so taken back by this because my loyalty to my employer has never been questioned.

I spent a sleepless night tossing this around only to realize that the true answer to this question is I am on the residents team. The simple truth is those who really know me already know this. I will never apologize to anyone for advocating for a resident, and I have learned there are very good facilities that respect this and follow this mission,some even are on the forefront of changing the industry to improve this.

The one thing I always know is if you do the right thing for the right reason everything else will follow. I have assisted and directed a large number of facilities over the years with the mission of either correcting concerns or implementing systems to prevent them from occurring. I never care that my name is on the wall or website of the facility, just that with the implementation of systems it ultimately results in the best care for all residents. I believe that we as healthcare providers because of our knowledge base and ability to look at situations from a nuetral position that family members may not be able to see ,need to make sure that we maintain standards and educate them to the reason why. The regulations set for assisted living are truly in place because either at some time a resident's safety or well being was jeopardized by the lack of the regulation or to prevent such occurrence's from happening, and first and foremost to promote the best quality of life for each resident.

I have so often seen the licensing inspectors viewed as the enemy, the truth is we should all be on the same page resulting in happy well cared for and educated ,families ,residents and staff. Good facilities maintain open communication with their inspector and the visit to the facility is an opportunity to improve the care and services provided.

I have been questioned whether the articles, books or speeches I have written or gave are intended to give a negative attitude toward Assisted living facilities, the answer to this is No!

I want to be very clear that I think Assisted living is a wonderful avenue for our aging population,whether as a bridge to nursing home or as a place that allows residents to age in place.

I want to give a large applause to those facilities willing to go the extra mile to allow this, not just because it is easier for families but because it shows a true commitment to care for residents and help families by developing relationships to help them deal with the aging process. I have to say that if any facility or person takes offence to what I write or say needs to ask themselves one simple question, "does this apply to me?" If the answer is no then it is not directed to them.

The healthcare industry like any other business has good and bad participants, only each individual company or person can know where they are.

The best advice I can give is be honest,educated and willing to to be on the residents team!

As I often tell others Integrity is what you choose to do when no-one is watching, always ask yourself am I doing the right thing for the right reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment